Akai M7 mod also Roberts M8 mod
Akai M7 mod also Roberts M8 mod:
This mod turns an unusable Akai or Roberts vacuum tube tape recorder electronics channel into a damn good mic pre, in the way of the best mutt ever . While it’s not a pampered pedigree, when well modified, it’s one that you will be happy to own and probably never sell. It’s hard to describe mic pre character with written word, but one thing is easy enough to be said of this mic pre, namely it is warm and big sounding and makes voice and instruments more audible in the mix without having to be louder or brightened.
The Drawbacks :
- Most common drawback is that the unit has been botched up a bit by amatuer dabblers.
- No mic input transformer
- A bit hummy
- No Input Pad
- No phase reverse
- No high Impedence aka instrument input
- No Phantom Power
The Solution :
- Previous bad mod work is undone
- Some improvement to ground wiring results in hum reduction
- A high quality switch is added for -20db PAD
- A high quality switch is added for Phase Reverse
- A proper high impedence aka instrument input is sired to existing input jack
- Phantom power can be added
Price is for modification labor and parts. Does not include unit to be modified.
- Product Code: WPA-Akai-M7-mod
- Availability: In Stock