Altec 436C Mod
Altec 436C Mod:
This Mod came about at the request of some customers who favored the fantastic sonic characteristics of the Altec 436C Compressor, but found the excessive gain of the input stage to be a significant drawback in that it severely over-compressed normal level signals.
The Drawbacks :
- To avoid over-compression the input level control must be set so low that fine control of level becomes difficult.
- Because input gain is so high and compression ratio is only 2 to 4 the output level can be quite high and thus compromises downstream headroom.
- Release Time and Threshold adjustment pots require screwdriver operation and are thus very inconvenient.
The Solution :
- Gain of the input stage is reduced.
- Release Time and Threshold pots are replaced with longer shaft type and fitted with a knob for easy front panel adjustment.
- An output attenuator is added on separate 1U rack panel to set output level to studio reference level, typically +4dbu, to maintain headroom downstream.
See Details for more info.
Price is for modification labor and parts. Does not include unit to be modified.
- Product Code: WPA-Altec-436C-mod
- Availability: In Stock